About the Lab
Research in the Johnson Lab has the primary goal of protecting and sustaining our food supply. To that end, we strive to enhance poultry health through a better understanding of the microbiota of the bird, the biology of antimicrobial resistance, the efficacy of antimicrobial alternatives, and pathogen ecology.
Our Research Mission
- Understand the ways that antibiotic resistance spreads through human and animal populations.
- Identify alternatives to antibiotics that can be used to enhance performance and reduce disease in agricultural animals.
- Determine the microbial community structures of a healthy microbiome in production animals, and the primary on-farm drivers of microbiome modulation.
Our Outreach Mission
- Provide rapid response capability to the poultry industry of Minnesota.
- Develop the next line of novel tools for research and diagnostics in poultry.
- Train the future workforce of scientists in rural Minnesota agriculture.